Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Jesus in the Cracks.

So, this week I'm situated in a small town in Florida that I can't quite pronounce the name of. I know it starts with an O. My pal Chesley is down here with me and we're calling it detox from the road or normal life. I mean this in the most glorious and non glorious of terms. We're staying in a cabin with other families (including children) all in the name of Jesus for a Young Life camping event held at South Wind Camp. There are middle school aged kids here. It's non glorious in the ways that come along with trying to relate to an age group of folks that you're not accustomed to. I'm here to play my songs and to lead what young life calls "club songs"....basically I lead the pep-rallying crew in pop anthems and campfire ballads alike. And it's like medicine. The "least of these" come clearly defined around here. The insecure, developing, worried. Everyone comes together in the details...to put these kids first...so they can somehow fall in love with Jesus like we did some time ago...and when you're part of a vocation that requires a dangerous introspection that more times than not leads to self-absorption...it saves me to get to places like this. To see people love until it hurts. To become a friend to the friendless. To treat loving with the same vigor and discipline as a world class athlete or CEO. It's just important to me...to get out of the bitter, cynical, competitive plow of an indie musician and remember to do what I can to love Jesus and people in all the simplest but profound ways. It's very important. It's the point I'd say. I'm the same as the kids. Jesus grins and weeps with me as I develop and slip. He does you like that too I think.

4 comments:

Cameron Lawrence said...

Good stuff, brother. We would all do well to live a little more outside of ourselves, to fight that self-absorption we're all inclined toward; to find the saving grace in those moments, people and places that bring us back to a world that spins on an axis other than our lives. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

andy said...

i enjoyed this post man.

i enjoy you.

see you saturday for drinks.

maribeth said...

I'm so glad you've been there this week! Can't wait to hear all about it from the Chatt. YL folks!
Thanks, Micah! mari

Samantha said...

this is great...the moments to remember!