Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Home. Road. Rhythm.

I've been home maybe a grand total of 4 days since the day after Christmas Day. Seriously though...5. I think. I've been home for 3 1/2 full days now, and I'm uncomfortable. The strangest dynamic in traveling and playing tunes for a living is the ability to fall in and of a rhythm. For a while, I'd composed the home living rhythm. I'd even call it a sort of routine. Both good and bad gigs poured in, so I left home and played them. So then my rhythm got lost. Like Crazy Horse...I mishandled my rhythm. But my road rhythm began to develop. Here...too..you could say I'd developed a routine. I have time off now, and I'm more frantic than everyone else. I'm so excited to see everybody that I haven't seen in quite sometime, and I'm mostly confident that it's bothersome. Genuinely strange to most. Well it's downright intense. When you see familiar faces against the backdrop of ticking watch. You think: MAXIMIZE. You over-commit. You disappoint. Then, you get back on the road. You think to yourself, "Micah, you should ensure for yourself a wife or a full time band...or develop a strong sense for real estate development". All my friends either think I want more from them than they can give...or they wonder why I just won't sit and rest. People excite me more than rest for now. Especially people that I see less than 10 times a year that are fantastic human beings. Folks that have inherent rhythm. This all sounds dramatic, and it most likely is, but it's disorienting. Fast food relationships. Good news: I watched "Of Mice and Men" yesterday, slept through half of it, and still almost lost it at the end...I got myself a library card, and tomorrow I'm going to develop some photos. I haven't bought groceries since May so I see no reason to start now. But I did buy milk and Honey Bunches of Oats with my CVS card earlier in the week. I think to myself: I'm off a good portion of the month..I can hear the crackle of the snare coupled with the ol' bass drum in the distance. Feels like rhythm.

4 comments:

Cameron Lawrence said...

I'm glad you started blogging, friend. I'll look forward to more of this to come. Peace to you.

beautifulfoolishness said...

Micah, I almost called you a couple of times this week. It's been a hard one and you always make me laugh. Thanks for being that in my life.

I don't want to add to your plate, but I'd love to see you. I'm thinking of a road trip over our spring break. It would be great to sit down and really hear what's going on in your life, though it sounds like that's a rarity these days. Let's talk soon!

Case

maribeth said...

Micah,

What great memories I have of you at the Sunday dinner table eating and appreciating anything I put in front of you. Those were fine days! Have a great time in FL over spring break - I'll be in Indy with our new grandson! Hope you're doing well!
mari

Annibelle said...

Micah, thanks so much for the little snippets (sp?) into the wonderful world of the traveling minstrel (what do you mean people don't use that word anymore?). It's understandable for you to feel this ebb and flo, though, as you try to find your bearings when the musician's life is so beautifully unpredictable. But take heart,M, because in a way we're all trying to find our rhythm... no?