Saturday, February 17, 2007

Upstate New York Apocolypse


Today...I'm in a cozy hotel room after speaking with a kind, talkative receptionist. She put cookies out for me..so she says. So, I decided to scratch the myspace blogging due to my close friend and roomie josh cook. Josh takes blogging seriously. Visit his site at joshcooksucks.com. I am a huge proponent of creative travel. If you ever wonder how indie artists get to gigs...so do i....all of the time. I played at a school called SUNY-Geneseo last night. I flew in...was picked up at the airport...brought to the hotel....picked up again...brought to the venue....driven to dinner...taken back to hotel. This morning I had to figure out how to get to Alfred, NY. I only wanted to pay for the rental car for one day so I was dropped back off at the Rodchester airport in the early afternoon...so I could get back closer to my fight time tomorrow. I made some calls, bought the new Rolling Stone (for junk food reading purposes...purely), and read in the lobby-car rental space and then rented my green pontiac sudan. Started driving. Then the snowing ensued. I've arrived now for the show tonight at SUNY-Alfred. It's overload though...the only way the overload can ever cease to exist (here in my situation) is when grossly cold weather stops AND I learn the art of the airport hang. That's right...the airport hang. First of all, I have to LOVE, LOVE, LOVE hanging out at the airport. Second, you have to find those middle chairs in the terminal where you're not directly next to another human. Third, you have to enjoy...wait ..no ...have a serious dedication to a) listening to music b) reading c) starting conversations with complete strangers or d) ascribing to the Tom Hanks "Terminal" thing...where you fall in love with a beautiful stewardist if only for a short time and then leave. I don't think that lovin' was a two way street though...between him and the woman. But Tom had time and he was an endearing foreigner. I do not fit in with Tom here. So I have hours to burn at the airport tomorrow...from about 3-6 PM. Then I have a layover in Cleveland, Ohio. It's worth it though. Genuine connections through a mysterious medium. Worth it. There's tons of men and women who have to work their lives away to stay afloat...for a burger...or a t-shirt for their little boy or something...and I have time to blog.

4 comments:

beautifulfoolishness said...

I like your blog, Micah. Looking forward to visiting you in ATL. Hope NY treated you well. Talk to you soon!

Casey G.

Jason Harwell said...

Like you, I've found RollingStone to be a crucial component in surviving the airport; plus, it's rather large physical size extends your zone of personal space by a few centimeters. That may not seem like much, but that's enough to escape the breath of the guy who ate the three day old tuna sandwich from the plastic carton. And that's priceless. I like your blog.

Unknown said...

Nice new blog. You were in my stomping grounds. SUNY Geneseo is just up the Thruway from where I grew up. When you spoke of down time in the airport I threw up in my mouth a little. I hate flight delays and layovers.

de-ice this TWA,
randy

Drew Holcomb said...

airports are only second to greyhound terminals.
hotel room, grand rapids michigan, a week of noon college shows. the good folks at montcalm community college in sidney MI say hello.
d